Sunday, October 10, 2004

Sunday Link Blogging



I'm feeling really worn out after a bad night of sleep, so only a quick link blog post today.

Johanna Draper Carlson has a nifty review of Little Archie collection. I wasn't even aware of the stories until the solicitation but this part of her review struck a chord:

"Archie's resilience and cleverness shines through, placing him squarely in the tradition of such boy heroes as Tom Sawyer. I had a hard time reconciling a kid with so much gumption with the teenage slacker he supposedly grew up to be."

Has Archie always been a slacker? I'm not sure why but I always had the feeling growing up that he was a character that did a lot of cool things. Wasn't he a race car driver once? And then there is the band thing, with those around him (mainly Jughead) being the ones who didn't want to do something.

I wonder if it is only recently he's moved towards the slacker most kids are portrayed as. Or if I'm just misremembering old stories from when I was very young.

Ron Marz answers a question about his research material for Samurai: Heaven & Hell series on his board:

I was surprised to see him list fictional titles as research material as well, but I suppose it is good to see how things have been done by others. One of his recommendations, "The San Ichiro mystery series by Laura Joh Rowland (about a samurai detective)" sounds very intriguing to me. I'll have be sure to give it a shot in the near future.

Ah boobs talking about boobs On the JSA board is a thread that started out discussing the need to cover up Power Girl's chest. Yet has turned into a 30 page thread with fanboys discussing the merits of big breasts in comics.

Doesn't that make you proud to be a comic fan?

No comments: