Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Marvel Comics Hates America?



According to Michael Lackner they do, as he hammers Marvel and Punisher writer Garth Ennis for what he perceives as leftwing anti American sentiment in recent issues of the Punisher series of comics. Citing things like the books portraying President Bush as a drunk, having the Punisher threaten to assassinate him and refusing to go after Bin Laden in the article.

I don't know if I've ever read a Punisher comic, though the impression I've always gotten was that he wasn't something to look to for a positive role model. Some of the points Lackner makes did make me wonder at a comic putting something like that in its pages. (having a fictional character threatening to kill a real life person for one)

Yet as I read further I started getting the impresion that anything that shows the US government in less than positive light is un-American to Mr. Lackner, which is a laughable position. So I started wondering how much he was describing actually happen as he says, and how much is his own bias.

This isn't the first time the author has taken Marvel to task for being, as he sees it, Un-American. Last year he teamed up with Michael Medved, to write The Betrayel of Captain America dealing with other perceived anti-government/America stories Marvel was publishing in the Captain America series at the time.

No comments: