Thursday, January 06, 2005

Sort of Sad



I learned today that the Waldenbooks store in my local mall is closing up. The store has been there for 30 years, and I've been going to it since I was a little kid to buy books.

The store was small, but it always had a fairly good selection of things to buy. Yet in recent years the area has gained Books a Million and Barnes & Nobles stores, which the smaller Waldens size was just unable to keep up with. Especially given that the others had space for coffee shops, benches for reading and the like.

The only thing the Waldens store had going for it was the more intimate size, and ease of access to the employees who were friendly and helpful. Even getting to know their customers interests and knowing what to suggest, which the huge stores lack.

So it is sort of sad, though on the plus side they have 15% off their entire stock, so I'm buying as much as I can. To help me feel better you know.:)

1 comment:

James Schee said...

OOh good to know that the discount goes up! Mine is supposed to close on Janurary 22, so I'll have to check back so I can maybe pick up a bunch of stuff. (especially manga)