Friday, January 07, 2005

Recent Manga Purchases



I was talking yesterday about the local Waldenbooks store closing, which is offering a discount giving me a chance to try some more manga. Some of the stuff I picked up were:

Tramps Like Us Volumes 2 & 3 - Yayoi Ogawa's series is about a young woman trying to make sense out of life in both the business world and her social life.

I loved the first chapter of the first volume a lot because it dealt so well with the business world and the struggles an intelligent woman can have there. I liked it so much that I couldn't get into the other parts dealing with her getting a young man as a pet (like a dog or cat would be) and the shift of focus on her love life.

Looking back on it I can now see the story for what it is and not what I wanted it to be. I admire the series a lot now because of its intricacies and lovely are, and can't wait to finish these volumes.

Ruroni Kenshin Volumes 9 & 10 - I honestly have no idea why after reading the first couple of volumes, I didn't keep picking up the series. Yet when a friend sent me volume 8 recently my interest was resparked and I was thrilled to see these two volumes there on sale.

Now if I can only find some of the earlier volumes too...

Things I want to get



Peach Fuzz Volume 1 Lindsay Cibos and Jared Hodges won the chance to make this series through the Tokyopop Rising Stars of Manga competition. The art looks really cute and a story about a nine year old girl and a prissy ferret could be either the height of humor or crap on a stick. Perhaps I'll take a chance on it soon.

Sgt. Frog Volume 6 is apparently out in comic shops according to Johanna and David Welsh which makes me insanely jealous of them.

Case Closed Volume 3 it was supposed to ship this week to shops but no one has seen a copy yet that I've seen anyway. I like the quirky comedy of a young man trapped in a kid's body, but still trying to be a detective.

Angel 13 I liked the first volume, though I'm not sure if I'll enjoy the fantasy elements that much if there is more of a focus on them in later volumes.

Other books I'm considering trying are Kare Kano, IWGP - Ikebukuro West Gate Park, Paradise Kiss and Maison Ikkoku.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I've really enjoyed reading Kare Kano and Paradise Kiss.