Monday, May 10, 2004

Johanna on Chobits



Johanna says:I've had people tell me that I should be more disturbed by the way the female lead is literally an object, serving her master, but oddly, it doesn't bother me. Part of that is the cuteness that pervades the series, especially with the little fairy-looking laptop. Part of it is that it's so blatant and obvious about its symbolism that that doesn't even seem like the right term for it.

Perhaps I'm taking it too seriously when I read the series, I have read more volumes than Johanna has after all.

Yet I think a point of the series is the way the men treat the persocoms as objects. This isn't meant to be objectifying, at least in the way that a Tomb Raider or the like does where the women are just there to be looked at.

It comes across to me as much more as showing how wrong it is for men to treat women as objects. Shown in many ways, like many of the men's inability to relate to the real women, and by how the men and women look for different things in the persocoms.

Or at least that's my interpretation of the series anyway. Which when I first read it I didn't like it quite that much, but the more I read the more fascinating I founds its social commentary to be.

No comments: