Friday, April 01, 2005

Weird Week



I've been following the story about a manhunt for armed and dangerous fugitives, here in Silsbee, Texas for the past week. The hunt is taking place just a few miles from where I live, so it is something I'm trying to keep up to date on.

To people in big cities it probably isn't anything new or special, but in the rural little town I live it is big news and a big scare.

Work has been stressful, with the bosses pressuring everyone to work even faster without offering any suggestions as to how but "Just do it!" Which has instead led to just higher stress levels and probably slower production in the end.

I HATE April Fool's day. A day devoted to nothing more than who can tell the biggest lie just isn't that amusing to me.

Comic wise I haven't been able to hit any shops or book chain stores this week to see what is out. Plus I've seemed to hit a glut of stuff in my to be read pile, that is okay but I have little to say on.

A friend sent me all of the FUTURE COMICS first issues, and they were okay if a bit old fashioned in their approach. There was nothing inherently bad about them, but I didn't remember anything about them 5 minutes after reading them.

Geoff Johns did surprise me in METAL HURLANT #2 (from Humanoids Publishing) by telling a sci-fi story that was cynical, mean spirited and perhaps a bit un-American. Yet was a darn interesting read. The art was by the RED STAR team of Christian Gossett and Snakebite, and reminded of why I liked those early issue with the epic detailing.

On a final note, I have gotten strangely addicted to a word game called Text Twist at
http://aolsvc.aol.com/onlinegames/game.adp?gameid=texttwist

It is free to play, and quite addicting in a Scrabble with a time limit sort of way.

No comments: