Sunday, April 03, 2005

Sin City Movie Thoughts



I just came in from seeing the Sin City movie, and find myself sort of wondering if Frank Miller is some type of accidental comedic genius or not.

Oh when the movie tries to be funny it falls flat on it's collective butt. Yet the rest of the movie, with its really over wrought internal monologue, had me and the rest of the audience just laughing out loud AT it.

This tough guy sounding voice might work better in comic form, where it adds mood to the story that art alone can't convey. Yet aloud it just sounds so corny, that if I didn't know any better I would think it was intentional.

The movie starts off gruesome and get grizzlier as it goes on. To the point that by the end of the movie you are immune to the over the top violence and fairly needless nudity. Which seems to be there just in case you start thinking about the female characters as something other than objects to be protected or revenged.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the experience of seeing the movie. The mostly black and gray film noir look is lovely to be hold, really drawing your attention to the bright colors it highlights. Though I found it really odd that the blood looked like spilt milk.

I suspect my reasons for liking it, the unintentional comedy, to be far different than most fans though.

No comments: