Friday, January 14, 2005

Comics First Impressions



I've found myself with a ton of comics coming into the house all at once over the last 24 hour period.

From the fine folks at Discount Comic Book Services have sent me:

The New Avengers #1 - Everyone I know of hated this book, yet I ordered it because it was only 75 cents to try. I've never been a fan of the series, though the idea of Marvel aping DC's JLA by putting their "big guns" in one title is strangely intriguing.

I wonder if this might turn out to be the opposite of "everyone praises something so much it can't live up to the furor." To be "everyone panned it so bad that when I tried it, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.' Probably not, but it never hurts to be optimistic!

temporary - Damon Huard's story about office politics looks interesting. For some odd reason DCBS sent me two copies of the book though.

She-Hulk #10 - Yay, Marvel's best series!

Legion of Super-Heroes #1 - Please be a readable LSH comic, please be a readable LSH comic.

Samuari: Heaven and Earth #1 - Ooh pretty art!

Blade of Kumori #2 - A superhero named "The Great White Man"? Wow.... no wonder the "hero" of this series is sent out to kill him.

Little Lulu TPB - Wow this book is a lot thicker and better looking than I expected.

Human Target 2nd TPB - Cliff Chiang art is as wonderful as ever. Why isn't this man's art better known?

Gift from a friend who was out shopping, is the Bone : Out From Boneville color GN from Scholastic, bought at Wal-Mart of all places for under $7. I never read any of Bone before, and likely would have passed on it if I'd seen it myself. Yet it is here so I might as well give it a shot I suppose.

Add in a box of stuff from a friend that I have yet to even sort out. Along with multiple volumes of manga bought at a closeout discount at a closing Waldensbooks store. Which means I will be buried under comics for quite a while. Which is a good thing.... I think.

No comments: