Thursday, December 30, 2004

Quick Thoughts On Comic Singles



I just received a box from the Discount Comic Book Service, nearly a month late due to them accidentally sending it to the wrong customer. Yet I still wanted to put down some quick thoughts on the single issues I received.


Iron Man #1 - I've never been that interested in Iron Man for some reason or another. Yet with Warren Ellis taking on the book, I thought it would be at least worth a look. Especially given his penchant for approaching these older concepts from a different angle then most of the comic fanboy writers tend to.

Ellis has brought a perspective to the book in one issue, that shows how the world has changed since the character's origins. With a reporter grilling Tony Stark on the history he has as an arms dealer, and what his inventions and the like have done for the world.

When first created, the idea of Tony creating weapons for our government to defeat our enemies was seen as heroic and something to be proud of. Now we live in a bit grayer of a world, and building weapons isn't seen in quite the same light as we once did.

The art by Adi Granov is really detailed, and surface level very nice to look at through most of the book. Yet I didn't care for it, because it seems very stiff in places. Giving everything a sort of unnatural almost mannequinish look to the figures and environment.

I haven't decided whether to get #2 yet or not. I liked the ideas that Ellis brought up for me to think about, but the actually mystery going on in the book, with some guy injecting himself with a drug that'll apparently make him a monster, doesn't hold my interest very much. Nor do I care enough for the characters to care what happens next.

Yet still I was glad to have read #1 and gotten some things to think about.

Witchblade #80 - I've never read Witchblade before, but the writer Ron Marz is a friend and I told him I'd give it a look.

This wasn't too bad actually, though it is sort of strange that the lead was in a coma for nearly the entire issue. Still this allowed a new character, a male cop, to be introduced and through him allow new readers be brought up to speed on just who and what this book is about.

The coloring on this book gives it the typical sort of slick, and depriving of depth look that Top Cow books have always had. The art isn't too bad though, with a decent range of facial expressions and body types. Though there is a scene at the end of the book that I sort of giggled at after the fact.

Where the lead, Sara the Witchblade, suddenly awakes from her coma and sits seemingly straight up in bed screaming. When I first looked at it I thought that it was a scene out of the movie Alien with a huge object erupting from the center of her chest. Then I saw that it was just her right breast, as she'd sat straight up and to her side instead.:)

I'm not sure if I can get past the titillating factor that will have to go into this book to follow it long term. Especially since that while TC is saying they want to change how they are looked at. Yet keep to such a uniform "house look" that keeps the books from easily being distinguished from each other.

Still this wasn't offensive yet, and I have hope that Ron can make this book something more than what it seems to be on its surface.

Blade of Kumori #1 - I haven't paid any attention to the Devil's Due/Aftermath publicity about this new line of comics. Once again only giving the book a look because people I know are working on it.

The story here is of a young woman who is the best of a long standing samurai clan, that has been in hiding since ancient times when the clan was nearly destroyed by political forces seeking change. She takes on a job of protecting a fat businessman, which leads to an exciting battle with a female assassin.

Probably not the image the creators wanted to bring up here, but the computer base drawn battle scene reminded me of the cartoon show Kim Possible and that character's battles with the female villain She Go. (right down the assassin wearing all green as the She Go character does)

Which is fun since I love that show, but probably misses on the epic danger and seriousness the creators wanted to bring out. Yet until the creators spend more time developing who these characters are, I can't really get past that cartoon level of enjoyment for the book.

Hardy Boys #1 - This is just pure fun, action adventure story that you could place in any kid's hands without being worried about its contents. Which could be both a plus and a minus.

Frank and Joe Hardy are nearly every parents dream for kids. They are incredibly smart and active in their community. They pick the shy, over weight kids first when picking teams for basketball in school, they never quarrel with each other and even go to bed with no argument when their mom tells them to.

They are so sweet and good that I couldn't help but roll my eyes a bit at the whole thing at times.

Yet that's also a plus because the innocence of it all keeps things light. So that the dangerous stuff they do, awesomely drawn by Lea Hernandez, makes you excited but not truly fearful of the ramifications of what could happen as the two chase after a runaway horse or tackle mysterious "men in black" agents.

Making this a fun read for me, despite my usual jaded nature. I can hardly wait to see what happens in part two now!

No comments: